Your home or office can be more energy efficient by replacing old windows with double-paned ones. Double pane windows provide a barrier between the indoor and outdoor environments, which helps keep warm air inside during the winter and cool air inside during the summer. Double pane windows are also known as insulated glass units (IGUs) because they contain two panes of glass separated by a sealed space filled with an insulating gas, such as argon or krypton. This design reduces heat transfer through the glass, making it more difficult for outside temperatures to affect indoor temperatures.
- The primary benefit of replacing old windows with double pane windows is increased energy savings. According to Energy Star, replacing single-pane windows with ENERGY STAR-qualified double-pane windows save you up to $465 per year on energy bills. The exact amount you save will depend on factors such as climate, window orientation, and local utility rates.
- Double pane windows also help improve comfort levels in your home or office. They reduce drafts and hot spots near energy efficiency of double pane windows, which create uncomfortable temperature variations throughout your space. They help reduce noise pollution from outside sources like traffic or construction sites.
- Double pane windows offer UV protection that prevent fading and damage to furnishings caused by sunlight exposure. The insulating gases between the two panes also help protect against condensation buildup on interior surfaces.
- Installing new double pane windows is an investment that increases the resale value of your home or office building. Buyers are often willing to pay more for properties that have high-quality energy-efficient features like these types of modernized window replacements.
Ways to Maximize Energy Efficiency with Double Pane Windows:
1) Consider Low-E Coatings – Low-emissivity (Low-E) coatings are thin layers applied to windowpanes that reflect infrared radiation back into your room while allowing visible light through. These coatings help keep heat inside during winter months while reflecting excess solar radiation in summer months this translates into substantial energy savings over time!
2) Choose Gas-Filled Panes – As previously mentioned, argon or krypton gases fill the space between two panes in a double-paned window unit this creates an insulating effect that helps maintain consistent temperatures indoors year-round.
3) Proper Installation – Proper installation techniques ensure maximum efficiency gains from your new double-pane units; make sure you choose experienced installers who understand how important proper alignment and sealing are.
4) Regular Maintenance – Even after installation, maintenance remains critical if you want long-term performance from these valuable additions! Keeping them clean and well-maintained ensures continued insulation effectiveness for years ahead.